Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Last Will and Testament - Pope John Paul II and Jonathan Edwards

The contrast is striking.

Excerpts from the last will and testaments of Jonathan Edwards (start at page 438) and Pope John Paul II (emphasis mine).

Pope John Paul II:

""Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming" (cf. Mt 24, 42) - these words remind me of the last call, which will happen at the moment the Lord wishes. I desire to follow Him, and I desire that everything making up part of my earthly life should prepare me for this moment. I do not know when the moment will come, but like everything else, I place it too in the hands of the Mother of my Master: Totus Tuus. In the same maternal Hands I leave everything and everyone with whom my life and vocation have linked me. In these Hands I leave, above all, the Church, as well as my Nation and all humanity."

"Today I wish to add only this: that each of us must bear in mind the prospect of death. And must be ready to present himself before the Lord and Judge - Who is at the same time Redeemer and Father. I too continually take this into consideration, entrusting that decisive moment to the Mother of Christ and of the Church - to the Mother of my hope."

"Once again, I wish to entrust myself totally to the Lord's grace. He Himself will decide when and how I must end my earthly life and pastoral ministry. In life and in death, Totus Tuus in Mary Immaculate."

"All the more deeply I now feel that I am totally in the Hands of God - and I remain continually at the disposal of my Lord, entrusting myself to Him in His Immaculate Mother (Totus Tuus)"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Edwards

"And first of all, I give and commend my Soul into the Hands of God that gave it, and to the Lord Jesus Christ it's glorious, al-sufficient, faithful & chosen Redeemer, relying alone on the free and infinite Mercy & Grace of God through his worthiness & mediation for its eternal salvation;  And my Body I commend to the Earth to be committed to the Dust in decent Christian Burial, at the Discretion of my Executrix hereafter named; hoping through the Grace, Faithfulness, and almighty Power of my everlasting Redeemer, to receive the same again at the last day, made like unto his Glorious Body."

(HT: Feeding on Christ)

No comments: